Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sunday Night Couponing

While I was grocery shopping today, I thought .. "Oooh! I am going to buy a Sunday paper and look at the ads!!" So I came home, put everything away, and then went through the coupon section. First I clipped all the manufacturers coupons for items that Lucas and I ALREADY buy. I think this is important. He is pretty brand loyal, and I respect that. But I figure, why not save some dough here and there on stuff we're going to buy anyway? Then I looked through all the store ads. Bo-ring. And lastly, I looked through the Walgreens ad. I found so many things on sale at Walgreens that I had JUST clipped manufacturer coupons for, so I thought.. "this is perfect"! (I'm sure they do that on purpose... ??)

So I decided to go to Walgreens. I've heard that Sundays at Walgreens are a mad house and sometimes everything in the ads is sold out. But I thought, "Well, I live in Kirkwood.. these people probably don't clip coupons anyway" So I decided to go.

I bought ONLY items that were on sale and/or I had a coupon for AND that I would have bought anyway. I think that's key as far as my couponing is concerned.

So, Melissa and Crystal, I think you might be a little disappointed in me. I didn't get out of there under $12 or anything like you guys always do... I was a little dissappointed at myself for that. But here's what I got:



6-pack Viva paper towels (my fav and the only ones I buy)
2 Nivea Lotions
2 Crest toothpastes
1 Crest ProHealth (Lucas' mouthwash)
28-count Always Infinity
2 5-pack disposable razors

Total that I spent: $31.57
Less Registry Rewards that I can use on my next purchase: $5
Grand Total: $26.57

Now, I know this seems like it's a lot still. But According to my receipt I saved $22.23. If I add everything up pre-coupons and sale, my total would have been almost $55 before tax... and remember - I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT ALL THIS ANYWAY - so all in all, I'd say it was a pretty successful trip.

Now let's talk about the actual act of checking out. UUUGGggghhhhh. Ok, I was nice enough to let a lady who walked up right behind me go ahead of me, and I explained that I had some coupons to use. But then, I kid you not, as soon as she scanned my first item, there were AT LEAST 7 people piled up behind me. Mortification does not begin to describe it. All these people are like, "Look at this pregnant lady. She is so selfish because she just has to hold up the whole line so she can save 40 cents on her post-baby overnight maxi pads." I just pretended they weren't there and stared straight ahead at the cashier, who was very nice and helpful, albeit a little slow. I think next time I will go as late as I can stay up, to lessen the likelihood of other shoppers.

So anyway, that's my first couponing story. And I'm real glad that I won't have to buy razors for awhile.. :)

2 comments:

  1. Jamie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sooo proud of you! You did awesome and don't worry about the people staring at you in line..they were probably just anxiously awaiting there opportunity to use their coupons!! I really am happy for you and think you did awesome! You saved a ton and that's probably around how much I would have saved anyway..I'm not any "extreme couponer." That takes hours on end that I don't have. You go girl! Make sure you tell Ame so she gets on it as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, girl! It feels so good to save money on things you would buy anyway. And I'm glad you respect the brand loyalty of your husband! No use buying stuff he won't use, right?!

    ReplyDelete